Ron Rutledge was the recipient of the 2024 Crop Insurance Industry Lifetime Achievement Award presented during the 2024 Crop Insurance Industry Annual Convention held in Scottsdale, Arizona. The Lifetime Achievement Award is designed to recognize individuals who consistently demonstrate outstanding leadership to the crop insurance industry.
The lasting impact Ron Rutledge has made on the crop insurance industry will be felt for many years to come through his actions and through those he has mentored. After a 40-year-career at Farmers Mutual Hail, the “retiree” is still spending his days on Capitol Hill fighting for crop insurance as Congress reviews a new Farm Bill. From testifying to the Senate while serving as Chairman of CIRB in 2017, to walking with CIRB Emerging Leaders as they meet with members of congress each spring, he continues to champion the safety net of America’s farmers.
During his four decades at FMH, Ron held multiple leadership roles. In his tenure as president and CEO (2010-2021), he grew the company’s footprint from regional to national through the acquisition of John Deere Insurance Company, and he led the company to achieving its first billion-dollar premium milestone. He helped to usher in new technologies, including using precision data for crop insurance, as well as managed the unprecedented change in the workplace during the COVID pandemic.
Ultimately, Ron’s easy-going personality makes him approachable for many folks across the industry, and his impact can be felt in the people he worked alongside and mentored, especially at FMH. Those that know him can attest to his friendliness, knowledge, and passion for crop insurance.
Ron has served or currently serves on:
- The Board of Directors for National Crop Insurance Services (NCIS), as well as various committees throughout the years
- The Board of Directors and Executive Committee of the Crop Insurance and Reinsurance Bureau (CIRB),
- The Board of Directors for the National Association of Mutual Insurance Companies (NAMIC)
- The Board of Directors for the Iowa Insurance Institute
Other notable achievements:
- During his term as Chairman of the Board for CIRB in 2017, he testified before the Senate Agriculture Committee on behalf of the crop insurance industry.
- During his tenure as president at FMH, Ron doubled the company’s premium from $500 million to $1 billion, as well as grew FMH to serve a national footprint.
- Ron has served on the FMH Board of Directors for 30 years.
In addition to Ron’s service to the industry, he has used his leadership positions to bring positive change to others. From shaving his head to raise funds for childhood cancer research, to increasing donations to local food banks during the pandemic, Ron makes sure a culture of giving and caring for the community is felt at FMH and beyond.
PHOTO: Ron Rutledge was presented with the 2024 Crop Insurance Industry Lifetime Achievement Award by Scott Arnold (right), Chair of the National Crop Insurance Services Board of Directors. Tom Zacharias (left), President of National Crop Insurance Services.