Agriculture Drives South Dakota’s Economy
- South Dakota crops contribute $10.3 billion to the state’s economy.
- Top crops grown include soybeans, corn, wheat, and sunflowers.
Crop Insurance Is Vital to South Dakota’s Agricultural Sector
“We purchase crop insurance for our family farm every year and have never filed a major claim. But that’s hardly the point. Like our fellow farmers, we purchase crop insurance for the same reasons we purchase home insurance or car insurance — with the hope we’ll never need it. But we’ll keep purchasing it every year because some day we might.” — Scott VanderWal, third-generation family farmer, Volga, South Dakota
- In 2017, farmers purchased 50,991 crop insurance policies to cover 17.5 million acres providing $4.8 billion in liability protection.
- Farmers paid $194.9 million for this insurance coverage.
- Crop insurers paid $347.8 million to cover crop losses.
Companies Writing Crop Insurance in South Dakota Include:
ARMtech Insurance Services
CGB Diversified Services
Crop Risk Services
Farmers Mutual Hail Insurance Co. of Iowa
Great American Insurance Company
Hudson Insurance Group
NAU Country Insurance Company
Rain and Hail L.L.C.
Rural Community Insurance Services